Website EPFL - Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
The Laboratory of Statistical Biophysics (LBS, http://lbs.epfl.ch) is seeking a postdoc to work on the project “Regulating RNA processing by non-equilibrium phase transitions“ funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation, in collaboration with Prof. Aleksandra Radenovic (EPFL), Prof. Karsten Weis (ETHZ) and Dr. Alessandro Barducci (Centre de Biochimie Structurale, Montpellier).
The project aims at understanding the regulation of RNA processing by intra-cellular liquid-liquid condensates, which in turn are controlled by non-equilibrium (ATP-consuming) machines (kinases, RNA-chaperones, protein chaperones).
The candidate will perform research along two axis:
- Develop models of multi-component non-equilibrium liquid-liquid phase transitions (e.g. based on dynamical Landau-Ginzburg approaches etc.)
- Use machine learning techniques to explore the sequence-related properties of the proteins and RNA that participate in the formation of intra-cellular condensates.The research project will require a Ph.D. in Physics, or related disciplines, with emphasis on statistical physics.
It also requires fluent scientific writing and communication skills in English.
Excellence will be the primary point of consideration, with the following attributes in the order of importance (most important first):
- Ph.D. in Physics, or related disciplines, with emphasis on statistical physics
- Proven track record of analytical and computational skills
- Knowledge of basic cellular biology
- Ease at interacting with experimentalists/biologists/reading biological literature
- Experience with Machine Learning (TensorFlow / Keras)
- Experience in managing student project
- Fluent scientific writing and communication skills in English.