PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Sanofi’s Neuroinflammation and Repair Research Cluster in the Rare Diseases and Neuroscience Therapeutic Area, based in Framingham, MA, is looking for a highly qualified and motivated postdoctoral fellow to join a lab that is working to discover and develop therapies for the treatment of Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and other neurodegenerative and neuroinflammatory diseases. The goal of this work is to develop novel strategies to target glial signaling networks to limit disease progression and promote neuroprotection, remyelination and repair. This laboratory-based position will include the opportunity to interact with internal and external collaborators, initiate new drug discovery programs and advance ongoing projects. The candidate must have expertise in neuronal and glial cell cellular biology, deep knowledge of neural-immune and glial signaling pathways and a working knowledge of RNASeq and bioinformatics approaches.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILIITES:
- Identify new pathways and targets relevant to neuroinflammatory and neurodegenerative disease and conduct discovery research to validate these pathways and targets in cell culture and animal models and human biosamples.
- Create new RNAseq and single cell RNAseq databases from human tissue banks and mouse models of disease. Work independently and with Bioinformatics colleagues to identify cell- and disease-specific gene signatures in neurons and glial cells. Develop searchable databases for group members to easily access data.
- Develop new tools to study neuron-glia and glia-glia signaling in vitro and in vivo using primary rodent and human cell cultures, human iPSC cells, and rodent models of neuroinflammatory and neurodegenerative disease.
- Perform target validation in human tissue by analyzing gene expression changes, pathway activation/deactivation, and signal localization at the RNA and protein level.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the group to design and execute studies.
- Maintain electronic laboratory notebooks, follow good research practices, and develop project deliverables, timelines and resource needs.
- Present research at internal stakeholder meetings and at scientific conferences. Prepare research manuscripts and publish work in peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Establish and maintain an external scientific network to continue to develop expertise in cutting edge science and technology to support the Rare and Neurologic Diseases Therapeutic Area strategy.
- Role would have a two year employment contract with the option for a third year.
- Ph.D. with a background in neuroscience, neuro-immunology, glial biology, and/or neurodegenerative disease is required.
- Expertise in neurodegenerative and neuroinflammatory disease and experience with cell- and animal-based disease models.
- Evidence of scientific productivity including first author manuscript(s) from graduate training and presentations at scientific conferences.
- Proficiency in big data analyses including RNAseq and single cell RNAseq. Ability to run analysis pipelines in R or related platforms, and ability to interface with the Bioinformatics group for more complicated analyses.
- Wet bench profiency including cell culture, co-cultures, brain tissue dissociation, biochemistry (Western blot, protein pull-down), histology, and live cell and static tissue imaging using epiflourescence and confocal microscopy and image analysis.
- Understanding of in vitro and in vivo vitro pharmacology.
- Ability to effectively develop and discuss experimental goals and research progress with scientists and stakeholders of varied backgrounds.
- Outstanding interpersonal, collaborative and communication skills.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
To apply for this job please visit en.jobs.sanofi.com.